About this site
(Liever lezen in het Nederlands? Klik hier!)
This website gives extra information about the poster Better Assumptions in Transgender Care (pdf), that will be presented at the EPATH conference in Ghent (Belgium) from 12 - 14 March 2015. On this page you will find the same information as on the poster. You can find extra information by clicking on the link "more information" at the end of each section.
Dutch clients of transgender healthcare regularly face incorrect assumptions from healthcare professionals. We offer you a better model, that gives people more room for implementing their gender in their own way. Using the Gender Cloud and implementing Informed Consent will help.
1. Gender Cloud
Gender is not binary
Gender is not a continuum(*)
Gender fluidity exists
Gender is personal
Is not a complete model: some people do not want to be part of a cloud
(*)Paul Vennix Travestie in Nederland en Vlaanderen, 1997
Click here for more information about the Gender Cloud
2. Subsets of the Gender Cloud
• For example: “Gender identity = male?” and “Need hormones?"
• Each combination of two questions make at least four groups of people
• Example: what type of hormones? What brand?
Click here for more information about subsets of the gender cloud.
3. Health model
Think about the subsets:
• How can specialists be sure that the criteria and assessments they use are right?
• How does the MHP know that what (s)he offers fits to what transgender people search for?
• Do we need a teacher or do we need a coach?
• Not all of us need a coach
• Nearly none of us need a teacher!
Click here for more information about the health model.
4. Current assessments and treatment...
...are based on two assumptions:
1) Gender Expression (how does one look) =
Gender Role (how does one behave) =
Gender Identity (how does one feel) =
Desired Body Parts (shape of one's body)
2) Gender Dysphoria: does one suffer?
Click here for more information about current assessments and treatment.
5. Better assumption: body parts do not have to be aligned with gender identity or -expression
• Woman, born male, living as a female for more than 15 years, no need for hormones/surgery
• Man, born male, need for vagina (no need for hormones or Real Life Experience)
The assumptions of DSM5 and WPATH SoC are incorrect: people do not get the help they need
Click here for more information about alignment of body parts with gender identity or gender expression.
6. Gender Dysphoria vs Being Transgender
The Free Dictionary(*) about dysphoria:
- An emotional state characterized by anxiety, depression, or unease.
- (Psychiatry) a feeling of being ill at ease
- A state of anxiety or restlessness.
- A state or mood of dissatisfaction, restlessness, or anxiety
- Abnormal depression and discontent
See Gender Cloud: there are transgender people who do need care, but who are not dysphoric.
- Dysphoria can arise when specialists wait too long before treatment starts
- Waiting for visible dysphoria is cruel: people have to wait too long before they get help
Click here for more information about Gender Dysphoria vs Being Transgender
7. Response of specialists in the Netherlands
Many of us talked with their specialists about these ideas. The protocols of the genderteams in the Netherlands have not changed as far as we can see.
Click here for more information about response of specialists in the Netherlands.
8. Full Prior Informed Consent
The only solution that allows for being different and being able to get the help that is needed is Full Prior Informed Consent.
Click here for more information about Full Prior Informed Consent.